Directors: Mr Mata Nooroa (Chairperson)
Mr Stuart Henry (Deputy Chairperson)
Mr Donald Buchanan
Mr Randolph George
Ms Jessie Sword
Mr Duane Malcolm
Chief Executive: Mrs Lesley Katoa
Te Aponga Uira generates and distributes electricity to Rarotonga in accordance with its mandate under the Te Aponga Uira O Tumu-te-Varovaro Act (1991). TAU is a critical key infrastructure asset for Rarotonga and the wider Cook Islands. The primary function of Te Aponga Uira (TAU) is the provision of electricity to the people of Rarotonga in a reliable, safe and economical manner.
To Matou Orama
Kia riro ei Ta’unga tiratiratu no te pae uko natura, I roto I teia pae moana.
To be the leading energy service provider in the region
Over the past decade TAU has focused on developing generation from renewable solar energy sources. TAU also supports the Pa Enua energy infrastructure through the provision of technical advice to, Island Councils who provides electricity service to Pa Enua households and businesses.
Performance in 2021/2022:
- TAU Support to Government COVID-19 Economic Relief Package for Rarotonga and commitment to the Economic Response Plan (ERP) of more than $11.5m
- Rarotonga Renewable Energy Programme
- Support major replacement of all battery modules and improving energy storage for Rarotonga
- Completion of the Power Station BESS to provide grid stability
- Pa Enua support through a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for capacity building, maintenance and operations
- Continue with the expansion of Rarotonga’s RE Capacity
- Ongoing investments in both the infrastructure associated with achieving the national renewable energy (RE) target and general infrastructure
- A review of existing customer tariffs with a view to expanding its product offers and utilizing price signals that encourage the achievement of the renewable energy goals in partnership with the private sector suppliers and customers
- Reorienting TAU’s structure and resource allocation to priority areas
- Assessment and implementation of the Pa Enua support through the respective MoU agreements
- New Office Building with staff consultations currently underway with final concept and design drawings to come